AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

Welcome to My Zoo, Logan Circle

(Courtesy of Animal Collective, Hippo Campus, Glass Animals, Edit: Maria Carrasco)

“Put your hand down, boy / Welcome to my zoo / Put your head inside / My big black wild while / I can still help you.‰Û 

“Toes‰” by Glass Animals is the perfect song to listen to for a day in Logan Circle. Dave Bayley‰’s ethereal and dreamy vocals put me in the right mood whenever I head down to Logan Circle. This song encapsulates Logan Circle perfectly.

I enjoy Logan Circle a lot, mainly because the location is not overly crowded like Dupont or Georgetown, but there‰’s still a beat of energy within the neighborhood.

My favorite way to get there is probably really unnecessary, but I enjoy sitting on a bus watching the day go by. I first take one of the 30 buses, whether it be 33 or 30N and ride up all the way to Georgetown. Then I transfer to the G2 and ride that all the way to P Street and 14th. You know, where that big Whole Foods is.

Photo by Maria Carrasco 

One band I have been listening a lot this year is Hippo Campus. Even though they don‰’t have a full length album out, this band is becoming one of my all time favorites. Lead singer Jake Luppen‰’s soothing voice and the band‰’s catchy and fun melodies get me everytime.

“There’s sunlight dripping off the apricot tree / Lost to the night tide growing in me / Singing to the drunks like they’re mom and dad / All we ever knew is what we didn’t have‰Û

Luppen‰’s voice carries the same vibes Logan Circle has. Flowing, fluxing, smooth, upbeat, happy vibes. The sunshine in your hair, the matching townhomes you pass one by one, the uneven sidewalk that makes perfect sense, everything.

“Streetlights talk the same way my mother told me / I walk the same way my father told me / Back straight, chest out, just like a soldier / Back straight, chest out, just like a soldier‰Û

Besides Hippo Campus, another band that does Logan Circle well is Animal Collective. Animal Collective has mastered on how to produce the funkiest, electric music while still maintaining a chill ambience.

Photo by Maria Carrasco 

Take their song “In the Flowers.‰” “If I could just leave my body for the night / Then we could be dancing / No more missing you while I’m gone / There we could be dancing / And you’d smile and say “I like this song” / And when our eyes will meet there‰Û

The electric beat with a hint of somberness pulls you in and hypnotizes you into a rhythm, just like walking the streets of Logan Circle, with every single person passing you by, with every car speeding past, with every windowsill you pass.

Photo by Maria Carrasco 

On darker days, Foals creates an ambience. Dark, but not dreary, soft but still heavy music, which, like Logan Circle, is rough, yet bright.

“And now the tables turn, it’s over / And with my fingers burned I start anew / And now I’ve come back down, I’m older / I look for something else to hold on to‰Û

Photo by Maria Carrasco 

Logan Circle has those peanut butter vibes. It‰’s not calming like Adams Morgan, but it‰’s not hectic like Georgetown or Dupont. It‰’s the perfect medium between fun and calming, happy and somber, ethereal and heavy music.

Photo by Maria Carrasco

Here‰’s a playlist to get you into those vibes when you visit Logan Circle.