AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

Image via Grace Jones Official on Facebook
Grace Jones = Punk Icon
Evin St LaurentMarch 1, 2024

Happy Women’s History Month! Women have been at the forefront of many prominent musical and cultural movements, and the punk movement is no...

A promotional poster for WVAUs Kay Basement punk show on Mar. 2.
Kay Basement Preview: Local Orange, Mannequin Fight, TORO and Home Remedies
Samantha Merar-OsborneMarch 1, 2024

It’s back. WVAU’s biggest, loudest event of the semester is back this Saturday, Mar. 2, in the Kay Spiritual Life Center Basement. The...

The promotional poster for the movie Waves, distributed by A24. Photo credits: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/waves/8d6kgwxn0kpx?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab
The Musicality Genius of A24’s “Waves”
Marley HollisterFebruary 25, 2024

Spoiler warning for the movie "Waves"   “Waves” is a 2019 film directed by Trey Edward Shults. The movie has two distinct parts...

Emily’s Earbuds: My Latest Hyper-Fixation, Darren Kiely, Will Bless Us With His Presence On Feb. 3 at DC9

via DC9 and Eventbrite

Darren Kiely, an up and coming Irish folk-pop artist, comes to DC the first weekend of February. His first ever single, “How Could You Love Me,” came out in 2022, followed by a few more singles from the EP Lost, which dropped just this past November.

To be entirely transparent, I found Kiely’s music over the summer from an Instagram reel that featured his song “Mom & Dad,” which I listened to *constantly* because of its excellent suitability for being belted out quite loudly while driving alone. Darren Kiely’s music has been likened to that of Noah Kahan, The Lumineers and Mumford & Sons. 

Although I can see similarities, his music (to me) feels very much like its own dynamic brand. Sometimes his songs unlock nostalgic memories of listening to country music in the car with my parents as a kid (“Blood Red”). Sometimes the only way to describe it is indie folk (“Sunrise”). Sometimes it toes the line of a Hozier-esque soul-influenced ballad (“Mom & Dad”). His Instagram reels promoting his upcoming track “Slow Decay” (coming out this Friday, Feb. 2!) use the hashtag #folkrock. An Instagram post (@sams.jukebox) recommends his track “Ella,” calling it an “acoustic folk” song, with “raspy and soulful” vocals.

I am so excited for the release of “Slow Decay,” and am hoping he will play it for us live this Saturday at DC9. I have very high hopes for this sold out event and will report back with my opinion of Darren Kiely’s performance.