WVAU

Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Back to Article
Back to Article

Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Noor Hannosh

November 13 was St.Paul Minnesota band Hippo Campus‰’ first time headlining a show at the 9:30 club in DC. They have toured in DC a few times before opening up for other artists and headlining at The Black Cat. This is my second time seeing them, the first time being back home in North Carolina, and I can confidently say that they put on an amazing show every time they perform.

Hippo Campus is made up of four members: Jake Luppen(vocals/guitar), Nathan Stocker (guitar/vocals), Zach Sutton (bass) and Whistler Allen (drums/vocals) and was formed in 2013.

Each member of the band has an amazing energy during the show which the audience mirrors. I danced and jumped around to the beat of every song they played and so did the people around me. My personal favorite part of the show is when the bandmates step away from their microphones and being to have mini guitar “competitions‰Û, it was mostly Jake and Zach.

The band only has one record out as well as a few EPs which means that they are able to play most of their songs. They were able to play a few of my favorites: “Way it Goes‰Û, “Buttercup‰Û, “Monsoon‰Û, “Suicide Saturday‰Û, and “Violet‰Û.

Overall the concert was just a lot of fun, and I could tell it was a lot of fun for the people around me, everyone was singing and dancing along. The band seemed very excited to play that venue, so all around it was just a great show.

The opening act was interesting, they were a band named Remo Drive, also from Minnesota, that I have never heard of before seeing their name on the tickets for the concert. The first thing they said when they came on stage was something to the extent of “this is the angriest we have ever been so we are going to play some rock music‰Û.

Remo Drive seemed like the typical angsty white boy music and they kind of were, but I was still able to get into it. The last song they played was actually my favorite that they performed, it is called “Yer Killin‰’ Me‰Û. They said that they wrote that song as a joke, so I guess I could say I liked it ironically.

I encourage those who are reading to check out both of these bands, especially Hippo Campus as they are one of my favorite bands at the moment.

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

Unpopular Opinion: Last Christmas is a Better Christmas Song than All I Want For Christmas is You

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

The Commune: Or, a Love Letter to DC‰’s DIY Music Scene

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

A Review of Taylor Swift’s ‘Reputation’

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

Babyface: Music Magician

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

Punk Pop vs. Pop Punk, Ramones-core vs. Hi-Fi Punk

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

Twisted Love

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

“Human, Like the Rest of Us; Weak:‰” How Jukebox The Ghost‰’s “The Spiritual‰” Shows the Futility of Internalizing Human Struggles

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

New Age R&B

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

Dark Pop Smart Pop and Bangers

• Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live

Archives

“Bipolar Illness?" I Thought He Said “Bipolar Elvis‰Û: A Review of AJJ‰’s ‘People Who Can Eat People are the Luckiest People in the World’

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio
Now Spinning: Hippo Campus Live