AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

The Half Life of Djo

Joe Keery, known professionally in music as Djo. Photo credits: https://rsuradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/djo.jpg

Nepo Baby? Nope. 

After appearing in various commercials and with minor roles in “Empire” and “Chicago  Fire,” Joe Keery’s breakthrough role was as Steve in “Stranger Things” in 2015. Since then, he has starred in “Spree” and acted in “Free Guy”, “Cold Storage” and season five of “Fargo,” as well as a few  other television and movie roles. 

He started his music career under the name Cool Cool Cool, releasing a few songs  in his early twenties, including “Slowbro.” In 2014, he joined the band Post Animal, as a  guitarist, drummer and vocalist, and performed on their debut and sophomore albums, but  he left the band in 2019 due to acting commitments. 

In the same year, he released his first two solo singles: “Roddy” and “Chateau (Feel  Alright),” introducing his new synth-pop, psychedelic rock sound, under the name “Djo.”  Coming up with the name by determining the most confusing way to spell his name, Keery  wanted to separate his music and acting careers, preferring his audiences to discover his music independent from his acting fame. In late 2019, he released his debut album “Twenty  Twenty” and his sophomore album “Decide” in 2022. One of the tracks from “Decide,” “End of Beginning” was re-released as a single in 2024 due to its more recent popularity on social media.  

Keery continues to strive to keep his music and acting careers separate and plans to  release more music within the coming years, maintaining his unique sound. 

Essential Listens: “End of Beginning,” “Roddy,” “Chateau (Feel Alright),” “Slowbro”