AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

Capitol Boogie Preview: Horse Jumper of Love at American University

Mark your calendars for March 29: It’s time for this semester’s Capitol Boogie!

Catch Horse Jumper of Love and Flowers for the Dead playing at the Battelle Atrium this Friday. Doors are at 7:30 p.m., and admission is free with a valid AU ID. 

Hailing from Boston, Horse Jumper of Love has been releasing indie rock music since 2014 according to their Bandcamp. Their most recent single, “Gates of Heaven / Snake Eyes (Again),” came out March 11 of this year. It acts as a follow-up to their May 2023 album “Heartbreak Rules” and features one new track, “Gates of Heaven,” and a reimagined version of “Snakes Eyes,” a track on “Heartbreak Rules.” 

“Heartbreak Rules” was written and recorded solely by vocalist Dimitri Giannopoulos, but the record was released under the Horse Jumper of Love name because it encapsulated the band’s essence according to their Bandcamp. It takes on a folkier sound than previous releases, but it still keeps the personal, quirky lyrics that are typical of the band. They have been touring the album since September of 2023, and they have an upcoming tour in North America starting April 27. They play the Howard Theatre in D.C. on July 16.

Flowers for the Dead is opening for Horse Jumper of Love. A local favorite, Flowers for the Dead plays gigs throughout the DMV. The band released their debut record, “Quiet Corrosion in the Dancing Hall,” in 2022 and have since become a local favorite of those involved in D.C.’s alternative scene. “Quiet Corrosion in the Dancing Hall” takes the listener on a journey through grungy production and heavily personal lyrics that create a mystic yet heavy record.

If you like them at Boogie, you can see them playing the Songbyrd Music House the following day at 1 p.m with a different equestrian band, Feeble Little Horse. 

If you’re a fan of indie rock, live music, free events or cool people, then the Battelle Atrium is the place for you to be this Friday night. Make sure to catch yet another Boogie for the books!