AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

Getting Fraternally Lit These Holidays

Ahhh, holidays are truly the frattiest time of the year. Ugly sweater-themed kickbacks and eggnog shots truly scream fraternity to me. I don’t know about you all. But seriously, the holidays are a great time to be thankful, looking back at the experiences that you had this year while listening to the classic holiday anthems. So, this week’s article (and my last article of the semester!!) will be about holiday songs that I find ideal to turn up to! Here are a few songs from my hypothetical frat holiday party playlist:

“Drummer Boy (feat. Busta Rhymes)” by Justin Bieber – Rum-pa-pa-pum, rum-pa-pum-pum-pum-pum, this twist on the classic holiday song goes DUMB. It’s sure to get the whole party jumping since it is a revolutionary song. I wish Justin Bieber explored this genre of rap twists on holiday anthems more, and I think there could be a huge market for it. Busta Rhymes is also such an interesting choice to add to a holiday song, but I really appreciate it. I hope to see more from these two in the future (despite how unlikely it is).

“Underneath the Tree” by Kelly Clarkson – My favorite thing about Kelly Clarkson is that she absolutely outshines every original artist whenever she covers a song. She is truly amazing, and this song is not out of character for her in the slightest, considering it is an actual masterpiece. At any given moment after November 1st, you can hear me screaming, “YOU’RE HERE!! WHERE YOU SHOULD BE!!” This song is genuinely a work of art, and shouting it at a frat party would truly get me into the wonderful holiday spirit.

“All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey – After defrosting on November 1st every year, the queen of Christmas, Mariah Carey, gets everyone into the holiday mood with this absolute banger. The song recharts and hits number one on the Billboard charts every year around this time and completely obliterates any other music released on the charts. It is truly an iconic hit year after year.

“Watch Me (Spin / Drey Drey)” by Six13 – While I don’t celebrate Hanukkah, I have a few friends back home who do, and subsequently got me hooked on this song in high school. The song is an acapella parody of “Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae)” by Silentó with some “Hotline Bling” by Drake sung with Hanukkah-related lyrics added in. Two bangers combined to make this absolute masterpiece that contains the lyrics, “Now watch me spin / I spin my drey-drey / Now watch me spin, shin nun gimmel hay-hay.” Who wouldn’t love to turn up to this song? My friends and I would even listen to it outside of the holiday season because it was that good. I highly recommend checking out this holiday anthem.

“Last Christmas” by Wham! – Ok, I’ll admit that maybe this one isn’t the best to party to, but I love it, so I had to include it. While some would argue that it is up for interpretation, I’d like to think of this song as the most popular queer Christmas anthem. It’s truly a devastating song, but it never fails to make me sing at the top of my lungs as if I have ever gone through heartbreak. Additionally, when you really think about the lyrics, it’s barely a Christmas song. The only references to the holidays are quite literally the few references to the title and the repeated references to giving his heart as a gift. Other than that, it’s just a song that I would love to cry to. Alright, who am I kidding? I already have.

I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday season filled with lots of eggnog shots, reindeer beer pong, ugly sweaters, and whatever other fratty twists on classic holiday celebrations you can think of! Spend the holiday season with the ones you love, and get fraternally lit with them, too. 🙂