AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

AU's Student-Run Internet-Only Radio

WVAU

Madi Diaz: 17 years in the making

Madi Diaz, a Nashville-based folk pop musician. Photo credits: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/madi-diaz-history-of-a-feeling-interview-1215569/

Folk pop is finally mainstream! With artists like Noah Kahan becoming international stars, the era of folk / indie pop is upon us. Madi Diaz has been putting out music since 2007. After releasing five full-length albums, she finally got her big break when Harry Styles offered her the opening slot for a few of his Love On Tour stadium shows in 2023. After opening for him, Styles then asked Diaz to become a permanent member of his band.  

Born and raised in Amish country in Pennsylvania but currently based in Nashville, Diaz always knew she wanted to be a part of the music scene. Growing up, she mostly listened to country music, but once she was in high school, she was introduced to Pixies and Weezer. When in school at Berklee College of Music, she was into the grungy rock scene, a contrast to the music she writes on her own. Her validation for her musical style came after seeing Brandi Carlile, and her inspiration comes through in her current music, combining styles of pop, country and indie to create her own unique sound.  

Diaz’s 2021 album “History of a Feeling” brought with it her big break. The success of this album, released under her new label Anti-, opened so many doors: a slot on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!”, several headlining tour dates and the career altering call from Harry Styles. 

With this newfound recognition after her album “History of a Feeling” and Love On Tour, Madi Diaz has just dropped her sixth studio album “Weird Faith” on Feb. 8. This folksy album features Kacey Musgraves in a song titled “Don’t Do Me Good” as well as Diaz’s two leading singles “Same Risk” and “Everything Almost.” These upbeat, guitar-driven love songs are a great introduction to the overall sound of the album. The album delves into the ups and downs of a new relationship, both the beauty of new love, and the hardships that come with it. With this album, Diaz displays her outstanding songwriting skills as well as putting out a truly cohesive and exciting addition to her already impressive discography.  

Her popularity brought many opportunities. During this album cycle, Diaz was a guest on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” and held a few record store appearances in New York City and Nashville where she performed her music, signed albums and met fans. Following the release of “Weird Faith,” Diaz is set to embark on a headline tour across the United States. I had the pleasure of watching Diaz open for Harry Styles at Wembley Stadium in London in 2023. Her energy on stage is captivating, and her live performance was memorable, fun, and interactive, so I’m super excited to see her on her headline tour! The show is on Feb. 27 at the Atlantis. If you have the time to go, I highly recommend buying a ticket for $25 plus fees. 

Info via Stereogum article: “Madi Diaz on Weird Faith, Love on Tour, and Her Late Breaking Success”